Nationally agreed professional standards help guide teachers’ professional development.
The standards cover the following career stages:
Q: qualified teacher status
C: core standards for teachers who have completed their induction
P: post-threshold teachers on the upper pay scale
E: excellent teachers
A: advanced skills teachers
The standards are arranged in three inter-related sections:
- Professional attributes
- Professional knowledge and understanding
- Professional skills
Best practice is for CPD to be included in the appraisal process.
- The supervisor and the individual evaluate the latter’s strength and weaknesses against the national standards.
- They identify professional development that will build on the teacher’s strengths and address any weaknesses.
- They evaluate the effectiveness of the professional development after it has been undertaken.
- They repeat this cycle at least once a year.
For more on professional standards, contact: www.education.gov.uk