The Law SocietyMandatory
The Law Society are the independent professional body for solicitors in England and Wales.
- are the voice of solicitors
- drive excellence in the profession
- safeguard the rule of law
- work to make sure no one is above the law
- protect everyone’s right to have access to justice
Solicitors pay their annual practising certificate fee to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
Continuing competence replaced continuing professional development (CPD) on 1 November 2016.
Under CPD members had to complete a certain number of hours of specified activities each year, with courses and learning provided by approved organisations. Some firms may have decided to keep using this method.
But any activity that helps members meet their learning needs counts towards continuing competence, and there is no target for the number of hours to spend learning.
All members must complete an annual declaration upon renewal of practising certificate. The annual declaration states members have:
- reflected on your practice
- identified and addressed any learning and development needs