What are the benefits of CPD?
The benefits of CPD can be seen from two perspectives – that of the employee, and that of the employer.
The Benefits of CPD for Employees
Employees can reap the benefits of continuing professional development and can improve their skills in their current role and future career. By undertaking a CPD accredited course, employees can prosper from the benefits of CPD listed below:
- Keeping knowledge and skills up-to-date
- The professional standard of qualifications and registrations are maintained
- Provides a professional sense of direction
- Confidence and credibility are built and enhanced
- The ability to showcase their achievements with a recognised qualification
- Equips employees with the tools to cope positively with change
- Promotes the advancement in career progression
- Flexible training schedules for any form of learner
1. Keeping Skills and Knowledge Up-to-Date
Without continued professional development, employees can find that their skills and knowledge can become outdated. In some sectors, this could occur in just a matter of years. CPD accredited training consistently provides the latest information to make sure learners are informed of the most recent developments, practices and data.
2. Professional Bodies are Satisfied
Some professions require continued training, not only to improve employee standards but also to satisfy regulating bodies. One of the most crucial benefits of CPD is that these regulations are met for the business but also the individual.
3. Providing a Sense of Direction
When employees lose a sense of direction or even passion for their role, CPD training can reignite that missing element. CPD accredited training courses can instill and cement their career path and aid in making the right choice for the future.
4. Academic Qualifications Bring Confidence
Undertaking CPD courses can boost the confidence of those starting their careers as well as the most experienced employees. Further knowledge in a professional field or simply confirming how much an employee knows and understands can boost determination and tenacity in the workplace.
5. CPD Certified Qualifications Are Recognised
By completing a CPD certified course, employees are able to declare a recognised qualification on their CVs. Not only does this aid employees when seeking a new role, but can provide a credible basis when wanting to progress within their current roles.
6. Employees Cope Positively to Change with Professional Education
Change, no matter the size, can be daunting. By staying up-to-date and fully accredited to the standards expected in the workplace, employees can be prepared for new challenges that occur. By being prepared in current practices, new ones can be easier to implement across the board and even aid other employees to make these changes.
7. CPD Training Course Promote Progression
Career progression is essential to the majority of employees. Without CPD training, the confidence to make these steps may not be present. These certificate courses also provide an easy overview to employers of the skills and knowledge of each individual, allowing them to make an informed selection process for career progression.
8. Online Training Promotes Flexible Learning
All accredited CPD training courses are available online. This leads to employees being able to take the time they need to absorb information and retain it, rather than having to speed through the process to meet course deadlines.
Our CPD Research Project confirmed that for anyone hoping to get promoted, or wanting to specialise in a different area, demonstrating their learning agility and dedication to CPD can make a substantive difference. In real terms, this means that CPD contributes to achieving higher salaries.
The Benefits of CPD for Employers
The benefits of continuing professional development for employers is something that any business should not disregard. By choosing to use the benefits of CPD, employers can witness the following:
- Company standards are kept high and consistent
- By providing CPD training opportunities, work engagement and commitment is increased throughout the workforce
- Having a variety of employees undertake CPD, concurrently or over a period of time, allows the sharing of best practice and support
- Staff potential is maximised, while also improving morale
- CPD courses can be used as a benchmark for appraisals or any other staff progression
- Legal CPD requirements are met
1. Accredited CPD Training Courses Help Maintain High Standards
Ensuring all staff are trained to the high standards a business expects can be challenging. A strong benefit of continuing professional development is that employee standards remain consistent and employers know the information taught is accurate and verified.
2. CPD Can Improve Employee Retention
By actively seeking to improve employees’ knowledge and investing in their progression, staff are more likely to remain loyal to the business. This investment not only provides value to individuals in the workforce but also boosts their own confidence, reducing the chances of them feeling unfulfilled in their role.
3. Accredited CPD Training Promotes Best Practices
Staff will always be in varying stages of their career and therefore undertaking different levels of CPD courses. By consistently training all staff with the appropriate courses, it allows knowledge to be shared throughout teams and levels. Opening healthy discussions and debates throughout the teams can lead to positive collaborations.
4. CPD Certificates Lead to a Motivated Workforce
Staff morale is essential to a well-run business. With staff all possessing appropriate training to fulfil their roles, motivation is increased. The added benefit of CPD certificates is that staff feel valued by their employers for providing these opportunities.
5. Benchmarks For Staff Progressions
When decisions are being made in relation to staff progression, it can be difficult to determine who is best for a new role or who possesses the skills to step up. CPD accredited courses provide this information to decision-makers, while also giving a benchmark to those employees who are wanting to take the next step in their career pathway.
6. CPD Requirements are Met
Sectors that are regulated, such as law, finance, construction and medicine have CPD policies that are mandatory. By ensuring any courses undertaken by employees hold CPD accreditation, businesses know these requirements have been properly met.
Furthermore, by utilising the benefits of continuing professional development, businesses are distinguished from other competitors. Allowing them to attract the best candidates and retain their current employees.
In turn, this promotes trust with prospective and current clients by displaying commitment to maintaining the highest level of professionalism within the business.
‘The process of getting my courses accredited with CPDSO was smooth, expedient and highly efficient. From first speaking with Sarah Fox who explained the process comprehensively to sending documents to Annie Williamson who was super efficient and Kirstie Walker who completed the publication process, it was a swift, easy to follow the procedure that I can highly recommend, thank you, ladies, for your assistance’
-Samantha J Hudson, samanthajhudson.com